Sunday, May 31, 2009

japan vacation recap 3 - kyoto

Instead of staying in a hotel in Kyoto, we returned to Nagoya. My uncle and godfather used his vacation time (read: recession) and drove us to Kyoto and back. I wasn't happy with this setting really but we did manage to save some money. So whatever...

Sucks to wake up early though. My parents' definition of a vacation doesn't include a full night rest.

Okay. Back to Kyoto. It's nice but is such a tourist spot. We left a bit left so we met traffic (rare in Japan) near on of the tourist spots. So, we had to walk...
 walkers

To Kiyomizudera temple!
K temple

It was an uphill climb and there were many shops selling stuff and stuff. There were really nice bags and I was really tempted to buy a yukata. No pictures though. I said it was a climb.
mom and fans

Okay, so there were few pictures but my family is infesting those so just that one.
Returning to the temple...
K temple
K temple

There were many tourists. Most armed with cameras. I was eye-ing some carrying old film cameras and those with cool-looking lens (drool...).
cam dude

Took a shot of Kyoto before we left.
kyoto framed

One the way down, we encountered "stuff"
Buddhist beggar
kimonos
Weird tourist
figures

Then we had lunch. I had a veggie meal served in a bento. I think it is a kaiseki. I'm not sure though. Most were okay but I didn't eat one red thing which was a bit squishy.
bento meal

We then went to Heian temple. Had a discussion with my parents and we ended up going inside the gardens. My parents also think quantity >> quality. No parents... no.
Photobucket
roof emblems
ducks
white blossom
reflected
reflected again

Next stop was Golden Pavilion. It was a cool structure and we caught it near sunset (very near closing time) so it was just... golden.
Golden pavilion

Wala lang...
no smoking

After buying some souvenirs, we went back to Nagoya and had dinner in a sushi bar! Moving sushi, hehe...
conveyor belt
and touch screen menus!
menu

No comments: