Saturday, February 23, 2008

What is with music and the need for people to constantly hear their favorite ones repeatedly? Why do we not get tired of it so easily as compared to a movie or a book? Wait, wrong framing. Why is it that I do not get tired of songs or pieces as easily as I get tired for say a good but not exceptional book? And I don't even want to talk about movies which rarely get the 2nd viewing from me if I understood it during the first one.

Maybe there is already a paper on this one but I'm too lazy(and incompetent) to search for it. I'll just believe that because music needs very minimal effort to appreciate and lasts for a very short time(of course, that'll also explain why we do not get tired of some commercials and short videos so easily) that is why listening to it repeatedly is common. But that only explains how it is possible and not why we listen to it over and over again.

-----
I hate the song "Batang bata ka pa". When I was 7, I hated it.(I hate it when grown-ups tell me what to do and how to think and stuff like that.) Now, it still hate it.(I feel I made a grammatical error...*shudder*) F*ck! It starts fine(in lyrics at least, in music not so much) spouting some things we, young people, are tired of hearing of even though those are true. And it ends with a slight disclaimer, a "kid" singing along agreeing completely with the message. However, there exists the singer who thinks he is smarter than everyone who is younger than him. Crapola! This should have never been revived. Ugh... Sugarfree, I for one know that smoking is bad and showing people smoking in your music videos is worse and I'm so much younger than you. And really, we, young people, are usually very cynical about life and do not think it is a small piece of paradise. However, I can have a compromise just remove the following lines:

1. Tanggapin mo na lang ang katotohanan
Na ikaw ay isang musmos lang na wala pang alam
Makinig ka na lang, makinig ka na lang
-Fine, I'll shut up but who will I be listening to? And this reeks of patriarchal society crap: "I have power(/older/a grown man/etc.), therefore; I know every thing and everybody should listen to me. Bwhahahaha! You are just a kid, shut up!"

2. Ganyan talaga ang buhay lagi kang nasasabihan
Pagkat ikaw ay bata at wala pang nalalaman
Makinig ka sa ‘king payo pagkat musmos pa lamang
At malaman nang maaga ang wasto sa kamalian
(emphases mine)
-The emphasized line is stupid. Really... Again, why should I listen to you? The only qualification you have is being older than me. And older doesn't necessarily means wiser. You have to prove yourself to me first and not just assert your age.

No comments: