Monday, February 18, 2008

Okay, I found this thing you could post on your blog(I forgot what they call it these days.). It is a blog readability test. Basically, you type the url of your blog or website(or someone else's) and they'll rate its readability. So, what did I get?

I got a Junior High School readability. I'm insulted because one of the blogs I've read talks about meaningless stuff got a College(Undergrad) rating. Then again, I have been putting up really short and meaningless posts(with lots of pictures) these past few weeks; the key word being putting up because I have really long ones in my drafts/unpublished area. So to test the validity of the tool, I've decided to try how it rates some of the other blogs I read.

http://otherjoseph.livejournal.com -> Junior High School
Incidentally, it is a photoblog with very few words. I guess the tool measures how long your average post is and pictures do not really count to how high the level of intellect is needed in reading a blog(not that I mean my blog needs a high level of intellect to be understood nor do I am for my blog to be that type of blog).

http://teenatheist.wordpress.com -> Junior High School
From the URL, it is a blog by a teenage girl atheist living in _____(she prefers to keep her country of origin a secret). Long posts, simple language, tendency for rants.

http://scienceblogs.com/ethicsandscience/ -> High School
It is a really good blog by an analytical philosopher with a tendency for discussions on ethics and philosophy of science. The really good thing about this blog is the high quality of the posts without the need for resorting to weird lingo or vocabulary only a few people will understand(read: Kant). Besides, what is the need for philosophy(and discussions on it) if the mass do not understand it.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/ -> College(undergrad) level
Another good blog with very interesting albeit slightly longer posts. I swear that you sometimes need to stop for a while and review what you've read in order to be sure that you are getting the point.

One of the blogs I read had a Genius level. I'm bothered because it contains a fair amount of pictures and usually have short posts. Then again, most of her posts are poems or are very cryptic(sometimes I think it is too artsy) language that you really need to think about to understand.

Conclusions: Pictures means lower readability rating. Simple language means low RR also. The longer the posts(and the maybe the frequency too[not tested]) increases the RR. Poetry trumps long analytical essays.

Effects on me: Not much. After some thought, I've decided that I prefer a low RR since it means more people will be able to understand my posts. And why should I care if the blogs I(and hundreds of others) think are really smart have relatively lower ratings. Obviously, RR is not a very good measure of a blog's substance. However, I think this should be a wake-up call. I should make more meaty posts since I have been slacking but I probably still won't post any thing too personal since this is a public blog(even if very few read it) and not a personal diary with a double lock. Maybe I should edit and finally post those drafts I've written during times of ignited emotions.

And, I need to proofread my posts before and immediately after publishing them. I think I'm committing too many grammatical and typographical errors.

No comments: