Sunday, November 20, 2005

HP4 "movie" review

JK shouldn't have allowed her books to be adapted into movies. She should have waited for her death and then let the movie be made. By that time, Harry Potter would be achieve a better rank in the "children's classic" hierarchy. Also, the first kids who read the books would be directors by then and would be the one/s making the movie not some adult who read a children's book. Face it! Adults have a different view on things from those kids(who are now teens) that have read the book. Even if that adult is claimed to be a "child at heart" it is still not enough. And no I do not want to direct the HP movies. This movie do not have spoilers really, I expect you to have read to book or atleast know how it'll turn out.

To be fair, the movies was not bad throughout. There were very good moments. The Quidditch cup made me a jiggly inside. I loved the entrance of the teams and the effects. I hoped to see what they'd do with the match. What tricks they might pull. I'd LOVE to see what happens next. Will this movie blow my mind? Then the scene stops. I slumped down my sit and concluded, this is a bad movie.

Creating a movie adaptation is tough. Especially books that are in their prime, ie the HP series. That's is why most movie adaptations were created ages after the books were written like the movie versions of LoTR, and Romeo and Juliet. Now, we do not expect the movie to include everything in the book(though we'd be happy if you manage). We do not expect the exact same interpretation of the book also. We do expect an interpretation near ours, some sense of loyalty to the book and the "flow" and "spirit" of the book be retained. We expect feel to the same or nearly the same emotions we felt when we imagined the scenes in the book. Unfortunately, (as said by the previous post) I laugh when they cry, I cringe when they laugh, and when they feel "in love" I look away(in fear and disgust). Okay, I was scared by the snake(in hp2 movie) but that was a special effect, the chamber itself and the fear Harry felt I didn't feel and I was scared of both of the first two books last chapters.

I do not demand too much but is it really to difficult to get the colors right, Harry's eyes are green. Remember the line "You look like your father, except you got your mother's eyes"? I hope JK figure in the green eyes into the last book to shake up the makers of the film! Hermione was wearing blue, Harry wore green. Well atleast the Quick Quotes Quill was green. Even the seemingly irrelevant things were incorrect. Beauxbatons and Durmstrang were not exclusive (for girls/boys) schools! Parvati and Padma danced with boys from Beauxbatons! The mermaid in the prefect's cr was asleep. Sirius's face appeared out of the fire not from the coals. And I do think the maze contained other obstacles and the Death Eaters were many times more than the Weasley family. Oh yeah, Padma was from Ravenclaw! And the enchanted ceiling was enchanted always not like in the final scenes.

Now, on a more technical view. Editing was crap. The only role not underwritten is Harry's. Snape actually disappeared, Rita Skeeter seems unusually good-natured and likeable, Krum was suddenly stupid, Hermione and Krum's togetherness seem to be due to physical reasons(which was not, Krum was quiet in public only or that is how I like to think things are), Fleur was weak, Moody was nothing. On the other hand, Neville seems to be a really important characer. Dumbledore suddenly became a manhandling teacher, and became more open to show his feelings. I don't know, but the charisma of Dumbledore was due to his aloofness and his unnatural calm in situations. The anger Harry saw(in the book) was radiated and was not shown through harrassing Crouch Jr. I blame the director and the actor who played Dumby. And what's with the bells? The Voldy scene was blah or maybe because I was tired of watching already.

The things I did like were the jokes, the Quidditch opening and the Myrtle scene(all those fanfic writers must be exploding to write something about it). I didn't like everthing else, especially the laziness of the special effects team and the cgi team. The wardrobes were okay but I think Muggle fashion was radically different from Wizard fashion. Oh yeah, the speech Dumby made was crap! Who wrote that stuff?! And were was Fudge's and Dumby's argument? Some notable disappearances Mrs. Weasley, Percy, Ludo, Dobby, Winky, and Sprout. Why? Did Mr Radcliffe ask for a raise? For a movie so expensive, why wasn't I dazzled by the effects and costumes.

Compared to the other HP movies, maybe next to last.
I'm getting tired. Here...

Grade:3(up grading system)

***************
Wtf happened to the National Bookstore branch in SM north edsa? WoT suddenly disappeared and the books seem to be in the wrong categories.

No comments: