Tuesday, September 09, 2008

I've been doing a bunch of stuff for our special studies(aka the thesis) and I realized how low the quality of research is in the Philippines. I guess there are good papers but you have to sift through tons of papers before you find them(if you have the access to the papers or the database at least). Even the papers written by members of UP Manila and PGH are no exception. Some are so bad that even us, undergraduates, find holes in their arguments. The worst papers, I find, are those touting the beneficial effects by these alternative modalities of treatment(eg acupuncture).

You really want to go to those authors and tell them,
"If you cannot do a study properly(insufficient sample size, insensitive and non-specific tests, etc), then don't do it! You are just wasting time and resources."

Examples:
1. change in itchiness index as measure of efficacy of virgin coconut oil against dandruff(a hospital in Makati)
-> Can't you just culture some fungi? You can't? Then do something else. Their Lord knows I have dandruff since high school and I only experience itchiness at certain times and not all the time. Meaning, itchiness is not a good measure of efficacy of something. Washing my hair takes away the itch but it doesn't take away the dandruff. Hello?

2. acupuncture effective in aiding smokers to quit BUT the treatment group contains a disproportionate number of females compared to the control. And there is that placebo effect.(PGH no less)
-> This study sucks. In its defense, the paper is written in a way that you'd have to read the whole paper before you notice something is off(no blinding and unsuccessful random allocation). I wonder why the editor didn't notice such a glaring error.

----
Yes, I will work hard in order to make sure that our thesis have no huge holes. I will try very hard to make something good enough that it could be published and important enough that CPH and DOH can make use of it.

No comments: