Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My classmates have found out my agnostic and slightly atheistic beliefs(I go to mass because I am forced by my parents). They seem to be really affected by it. Sample reactions:
"Nye, I'm Agnostic too."
"It seems it's true that as a person becomes smarter they become less religious."
"Really!"
"I'll be praying for you! Lord heal our land..."

The last one came from a really childish classmate and he did sing the next sentence. I was busy that time so I told him that it wasn't his mission in life to "save me." He must've thought I was joking because he merely made his singing louder.

In a batch full of very devout believers(mostly, Christians) and a college where the Dean's inauguration ceremony was preceded by a Catholic High Mass, I'm really out of place. At times when religion is discussed, I usually feel compelled to defend my beliefs and "religious stance" but I usually just shut up until a question is directed at me. It's not that I do not think I could defend myself, it's just that I feel that my explanations will fall on deaf ears or worse, I might cause their "conversion." Not that the converting/leaving their religion is such a bad thing, I just don't want to be responsible for their decision. Yes. That does sound stupid. I think it's because I hate playing the role of a teacher with my friends in fields where I know I do not have sufficient information like in religion(I haven't even completed the Bible). And I fear that their parents will go after me once they learn their child's conversion.

Well, I think the worst thing to happen is to lose their friendship. I value friendship above my own comforts and desires most of the time. So much so that I tend to shut up if casual talk goes into talks about sensitive topics like religion, contraceptives, sex education and human sexuality(You won't believe how homophobic, or at the very most, homo-INtolerant my batch mates are!).

-----
Last test of the year tomorrow. Wait... I have two quizzes on Friday. Nye... those two don't count. = p

No comments: