Thursday, December 20, 2007

I've decided to make a more detailed account of what happened during the last few days instead of being such a lazy ass b*tch who just makes a list. Hopefully, it'll also be more interesting.

-----
December 14
Last day of classes. I left our house late but I still expected to arrive at UP at around 8:10. Unfortunately, the LRT experienced some technical issues so I ended up arriving at around 8:45. Not bad if my class was 8:30; it isn't. I heard later that our course coordinator said some choice words to the class due to the high number of latecomers. Good thing, he wasn't there any more when I arrived.

The lecture was boring not because the topic was(the immune system is such a fascinating thing) but because we already learned about it last semester in our other courses. Time which should have been spent on taking notes(which I already have thanks to our Microbiology course) was spent on debating whether our teacher is gay. He sounds and acts effeminately but has a weird gold ring on his left ring finger. Then again, some gay men are married.

Afternoon class was very brief. We only had a quiz. I sucked in that quiz. I committed a whole lot of rookie mistakes like not checking if the agar plate used is the correct kind. I didn't fail but I got a grade way below my expectations. So much for the chance to increase by grade in that subject.

Classes end and we go to work on our lantern. We desperately want to win the inter-college annual Lantern making contest. We only had a few more days before the deadline and the lantern still doesn't look like a lantern so we decided to "sleep over" and try to finish it. My classmates who lived nearby planned to sleep over for three nights, I lived further away and have very protective parents so I get to sleep over only for one night and this was the night. But instead of heading straight to the lantern, I had some prior appointments. As it was the last day of classes, my org decided to have our Christmas party on that date. It was fun and the old members came. Our group won the longest vertical line game. I'll try to get a picture of our winning line.

After the party, I returned to the lantern. I put myself on tahong duty. It was a really tedious task, involving lots of wood glue, patience and the skill to find the right piece that would fit. That's me in the blue jacket.



Three hours later and with the help of a few classmates, the arm was ready for the next step. This is my slightly demented at night classmate, Reg.



I was feeling sleepy but I don't want to sleep so I decided to do the next best thing.

No, I wasn't taking a nap under our lantern. I was trimming the excess parchment we've sewn into our lantern.

Anyway, it beats the shit out of the other remaining tasks which involved sticking unwieldy pieces of bamboo, which they are all doing.

And yes, that is a hair dryer.

But it think it was well worth their effort.


By morning, everyone awake was a bit crazy. One classmate cannot stop laughing while I become grumpier and grumpier by the minute(they have to understand, I haven't slept). Some started singing and I barely stop myself from hitting those noisy people. Besides, I was thinking about what to do with another essential part of the lantern.

Yes, it looks like crappy moss with paint on and no, that's not me in the picture.

At around 6am, I left and went home. Saturday was spent sleeping. I did go to SM North Edsa but I think I was still sleeping there. Proof: I bought Smokes and Mirrors in Fully Booked when I could buy the same thing for a lower price in National Bookstore.

December 16
I returned to UP to find out that nobody is left in our workroom. The lantern looks more complete.(Pictures taken on the night of Dec 15, I couldn't find a picture without people in it.)




As I don't know what to do next, I just left. I ate lunch at Jollibee and attempted to steal a fork for our Chris Cringle. I was about to succeed but this lady stood behind me and I couldn't bear to do it so I left the freakin' fork.

I text messaged my classmate and she said that I should do the tahong thing again on the other side of the star. Fine... so I returned and worked on it alone. Alone... alone... Just as I was about to go crazy, a classmate came to help me out. And soon enough, others arrived as well. Night came quickly and I've decided to try asking my parents if I could stay over to work on the lantern. They didn't let me. Oh well, there were only a few things left to do regarding it anyway and we finally decided how to make that crappy green thing above look more acceptable.

No comments: