Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I think I will take a break from studying after I receive my BSPH. I think it will help me get excited for medical school because right now, I'm getting annoyed at how my classes are going. It's not the subject or the instructor's problem, it's just me. I'm getting tired and I feel my mind is wandering too much that it hinders my learning.

SO what will I do during that one year break? I don't know. I'm looking for summer learning programs(abroad), internship/externship programs or something where I'll be studying but not in the usual lecture-test method. Unfortunately, my search has produced no suitable programs. I guess I could apply as a research assistant in NIH or beg to be a part-time TA or RA in CPH.

I could get a job. I don't know if QCSHS still accept teachers that do not have a BSSEd. If they do, that'll be something I'd like to do.

I'll definitely take the board exam. I will definitely take a 1 week vacation somewhere away from home(Europe?).

I guess if I want to do something productive for that year, I could ask my professors(or relatives) if they know some programs that I could apply to.

BUT I really shouldn't worry about it too much since I still have about 2 academic years before I graduate AND I could still change my mind and go to med school.

-------
It seems I was wrong when I said RBC's don't produce ATP. They do. Apparently, the reason of the RBC's real death(not the one resulting from nucleus expulsion) is the loss of their ability to produce ATP. They do not have mitochondria but their cell membrane and cellular enzymes still produce ATP. Read physio books for more details.

BUT, NOT-doctor Tam Mateo is still a quack. And I still wouldn't trust him for medical and scientific advice since he is still wrong when he said RBC's are the one that produce the ATP for the body. RBC's couldn't possibly supply all the ATP needed for biochemical processes. The ATP they produce is for maintaining their structural integrity and plays a part in their transport functions.

Another entity becomes part of my blacklisted pseudoscience health practitioners, this time it's not just one person but an organization: PITAHC or Philippines Institute for Traditional and Alternative Health Care. They seem harmless and many of their advice ARE harmless and some are quite helpful(three of the 10 featured herbs were proven to be effective in curing certain diseases) BUT they are a anti-vaccination group and currently recruiting an army of ND's(not doctors) and OD's(oo! hindi doktor) to initiate the "Natural Method of Treating Disease" takeover program.

Also, they spout the nonsense about natural products are better at curing disease just because they're NATURAL. ugh! An atom is an atom and an drug extracted from a plant is as effective as the same drug synthesized from the lab. Unless of course, the extraction procedure was not completely effective in purification which caused a helpful substance to be extracted also(note: usually the contaminants[those that should have been removed in the purification process] are toxic and not very helpful).

No comments: