Monday, August 25, 2008

Finished reading Hunters of Dune. So much for studying for my test tomorrow. It's okay I guess. Not as philosophical as the other Dune novels(or maybe I should call them the real Dune novels). What I like is how fast the narrative is as compared to the other novels and how you have at least an inkling of what is happening and what is going to happen. Then again, I am using God Emperor of Dune as the reference novel. To the uninitiated, God Emperor, is the fourth novel of the series. It is the is most philosophical and has the slowest plot among the lot. I guess Frank Herbert really wanted to create a philosophy book but ended up writing fiction.

What I don't like is that the "chapter titles"(or the quotes from various characters and books of the Dune universe) tell too much about the chapter. The past novels are really great in making you think about what the relationship of the quote and the chapter is. I guess I just missed that pleasurable aspect of the Dune novels. And the book reads too easily. I expect that the Dune novels be trials in themselves. I recall frequently going to skim mode while reading God Emperor and Dune Messiah and then rereading a passage because I ended up not knowing what is happening.

Anyway, I look forward to reading the last book, Sandworms of Dune. I hear it sucks but I'm already a fanatic so whether it be good or bad, I am going to read it.

No comments: