Saturday, July 07, 2007

Sleep is such a nice thing. I know scientists are learning that it is possible that we really do not need the recommended 8 hours every night but I still think(and findings agree) that people perform better when they get their complete sleep(which depending on the individual can be range from 6 to 10 hours a night). Naps are very very helpful for most. For me, I find the best time to take naps is in the afternoon. Taking naps in between writing papers at night do not help much.

I guess I need to show some evidence. Take Marion Bartoli. Who? Well, she's only one of the finalists in the Women's Wimbledon 07. She was a set down(in a best out of 3 match) during the her quarterfinal match against Krajicek. She was playing poorly then the rain came. After the delay, she returned to court and dispatched of Krajicek with minimal fuss. In her after-game interview, she explained
“I was short of sleep so I slept for an hour during the rain delay. After that I was feeling much better so it was good for me to have rain today."
Wow! And that's just with a nap. With the complete sleep she had last night(and some very good tennis), she managed to defeat Henin(world no.1) and reach the finals. Okay! So it's an anecdote, so suit me! = )

But really,if all of us just get enough sleep every night(or day) and sacrificing our night habits(surfing the web, clubbing, drinking) the world'll be a slightly better place to live in.

----------------
Speaking of sleep. It seems my attempts at trying to control my Dreams is working. Just kidding! In our microbio class, I was trying very hard not to fall asleep but the prof is just so boring so I failed. Every time I close my eyes I zoom right into dream mode but I quickly realize that it's a dream and I wake up. This repeats about 50 times. Every time I close my eyes, I fall asleep and dream for a second then I wake up. I do not know if those are really dreams but it somehow always ends with some loud noise like someone shouting or an object falling. I guess, I should be happy those ended like that because if it didn't I had probably fallen asleep in class.

And just this afternoon, this happened. I took a nap(after reading my microbio book). I set my alarm to 1:40. I fall asleep. Soon enough I started dreaming. It was a nice dream. It was like a movie, with a great plot and many many characters. It was really nice and enjoyable. It was nearing the climax(I don't now why I knew it was nearing the climax) when the alarm went off. Blast it! So I reached for the alarm and turned it off. I thought may be I should wake and stand up now since my dream is probably gone but I didn't. I went back to sleep and somehow I managed to continue my dream and find out the ending. Unfortunately, I forgot what it was about. I think there was a dragon in it and we were in this big house but I can't remember clearly. Any way. Maybe I should really try working on remembering those dreams so I can put the good ones in here.

No comments: