Sunday, July 01, 2007

Guess what! I probably had a twin. He(or maybe, she) vanished in the womb(either I ate him/her or my mother did... okay! so ate may not be the most appropriate word).

Just learned about Vanishing Twin syndrome from the In the Womb documentary by NGC. They said left-handed people are probably the surviving members of once twins. It's all related about how twins are sometimes mirror images of each other(ex. one is left-handed while the other is right-handed). I wouldn't be able to confirm it right now(maybe in the future) because my mother did not undergo the normal laboratory and scanning tests while I was inside her. Something about how she and her doctor believes the scanning device could harm me(the embryo/fetus/baby).
It is seems possible that the surviving "twin" could be the right-handed one but according to their logic, left-handed are more probable to have vanished twins because the human species seem to be more(selectively?) right-handed(more right-handed people than left-handed ones and more left-handed people than twins). However, modern research does not support the (very old, 1928)hypothesis. I guess NGC should have read more or if they did should have mentioned that the hypothesis is still a hypothesis and one that is probably wrong.

Still, I wonder what would it be like if I had a twin. We'd probably end up killing each other... well... maybe not.

No comments: