Sunday, March 13, 2011

What's happening in Japan is horrible.

And to think they are the one of the, if not the most, prepared to face these kinds of disasters. Then again, how can you prepare for an 8.9 earthquake? It makes disaster preparedness look like an exercise in futility. It's good to know though that most of the people I know from Japan are accounted for and are safe.

The call for prayers are mounting up and I''m finding it weird. And there was an insensitive comment over at the FF group. *sigh* At least, I haven't seen misguided comments  from religious wackos in the form of "the earthquake as a punishment for that heathen country that is Japan" or something to that effect.

The rapid response by the other nations is nice to hear but I've learned from a disaster management class that foreign aid, at least those in the form of human resources, should not be allowed into the disaster area until (at least) a quick survey and assessment has been conducted. Allowing them in would just lead to confusion and inefficiencies, I think this would be especially applicable to Japan which probably has a comprehensive disaster preparedness plan.

The nuclear plant situation makes me want to re-think my stand on nuclear power all together. It seems that Nature is telling us that we shouldn't mess with that because I can so totally overcome all your safety barriers.

On a lighter (slightly insensitive note), what will happen to the manga?

No comments: