Thursday, March 17, 2011

Patient encounters. As we were taking the history of our patient, she started talking about her feelings. Deep, pent up feelings and before I knew it, she was crying. Gah! In all the interviews we conducted during LU IV, there were only two times that the patient cried and on both occasions I was one of the lead interviewers. In this case, I was the only interviewer. Why?!

It's not that I don't like it. It's good that they are able to release their pent up emotions. It's good that even as a 2nd year student, I'm already able to help the patient. It's just that I'm not good with handling these situations. Fortunately, I had the CEA method and Psych 220 to fall back on. Though I saw that the patient had gained something from the catharsis, I still suck at the counseling and educating part. Especially, when I really don't have any control on her management nor can I give her money to solve her problems.

And my group mates finally saw some semblance of goodness residing in me.

No comments: