Saturday, October 03, 2009

School will start again on Monday. My attempt to finish our proposal failed due to uncooperative groupmates. Some had valid reasons, others I don't know... I think they're just being irresponsible (would it kill them to reply to my text message?).

On the other hand, I spent too days helping out in the UPM relief efforts although I didn't participate in the distribution and med missions. I'm still a med mission virgin. Yes! Judging from the stories from other people, the med missions didn't just serve to meet the health consequences of Ondoy. They provided means for people who have no money or time to consult a health professional regarding their diseases. It was a bit funny (I'm twisted, ok?) to hear that one of the leading morbidities in a med mission was hypertension. Hypertension. Disasters don't result in hypertension. A single butter-laden meal doesn't cause hypertension. Funny, right? Just shows how poor the health system is in encouraging people to get their yearly check-up or at least visit the health center for illnesses (granted, HPN can be asymptomatic).

Also, Red Cross can be sexist. They have this policy of excluding females from tasks which involve carrying heavy objects such as sacks of rice. How they could be so backward is beyond me but then again, it is a Filipino-run organization so maybe. Doesn't erase the fact that it is a stupid policy. I really don't want to hear that lame argument of males being stronger than females. Individual females may be incapable of carrying a sack of rice but there is nothing that will prevent them from working together or using machines (wheels, levers, etc), right?

---
I also went skating last Friday. It was really nice to have a nearly empty rink. It was cold. There was a mist. And you could go faster and do more things without worrying about hurting someone. I should do it again but I have to come on a weekday though.

No comments: