Sunday, July 22, 2012

It's Cinemalaya time again and clerkship will not prevent me from enjoying this years selection of movies.


True to Cinemalaya spirit, lines still take a long time to clear up and tickets get sold out for many shows. Looking at the bright side, I get to see two films that was not part of my original choices. I think the two, Diablo and Mga Dayo, were in the bottom. Although I was not happy with Diablo, I do appreciate the wonderfully shot nighttime scenes. If the director had pushed for a more suspense-type movie, he would have been more successful. Mga Dayo was a pleasant surprise.

Mga Dayo has a really nice ending theme hence the link. I also see why it was chosen for this years festival despite having a much explored theme: immigration, OFWs, Filipinos abroad. The way I can best describe it is that it has a lightness rare in Filipino movies. It has a delicate touch I guess. It doesn't bash you and scream, "Look at me! I'm a Filipina abroad and my life kind of sucks too!"


Granted, I still want to see my top choices so I bought tickets for the next two movies I'm going to watch this week. No more lines! Yey!

No comments: