Sunday, March 18, 2012

so I will be facilitating a workshop on return service programs for physicians in 2 weeks and I don't have a concrete plan yet. The idea is to determine to what extent our organization will act on this issue: are we promoting the idea of a compulsory service for all medical graduates? do we limit it to public school graduates only? or do we just encourage it? I've been searching for good papers on the topic. I found one which looked at return service (also known as obligatory or required service) programs in 70 countries. They described various mechanisms to implement the program. Still, issues I have been contending over the past weeks were brought up. The most glaring of which: Why should graduates of private medical schools agree to this program? I don't have an answer for this question. Of course, another question that we pose in the workshop is what factors or reforms should be implemented in order to make the reform more palatable to graduates. Maybe I should leave it to the participants. But I have this thing. I don't like facilitating workshops when I don't have a definite stance on the issue. It's not that I try to influence the participants towards my position but it's a way for me to prepare for most of the issues that will arise during the discussion. If I know the issues, I know the questions to ask so participants will have an easier time discussing the issue.

No comments: