Sunday, February 05, 2012

It's funny how some people on twitter are responding to an atheist on TV. Some are questioning his atheism because he has a nice attitude, just angry at the Catholic church, his name means God is with us, and, the reason I found most laughable, open to the existence of God.

I'm offended at how lightly these people treat our decision to let go of a god (or gods). I would like to think that for most nonbelievers, it is a product of a long period of soul searching. From birth, my family would instill the value of the Christian God in my life and realizing that I don't care for that almost amounts to betrayal of my family. Eventually, I had to try and compromise. Maybe I can still believe in a god but not it's religion. Maybe this is just the wrong religion, I should test others. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. In the end, I just let it go and choose to live life freely without these things. I still need to tell my parents about it but they don't need to know right now.

Of course, I'm still open to the existence of a god or gods. I just don't feel the need for it and its teachings to guide my life. I have a brain and I will use it.

No comments: